Monday, June 22, 2009

How do YOU choose to "Run" for God?


I received the following email from a BUMC member who is choosing to "run" for God. While he is literally running to raise money for Hope House, it made me think of how all of us have the opportunity to step up to the starting line and make an impact for Christ.

My girlfriend, Kari, and I are going to be running the Georgetown to Idaho Springs half-marathon. For awhile now I've been thinking about running for a cause. I remember high school and getting people to donate based on how many times I could jump rope and such. Well, I would like to run my first half-marathon to help. Your sermon today finally got me to take action. I first thought about running for the HOPE house.

The reason I chose Hope House is I know how it feels to be shunned from family and having no where to go. Years ago, I was living with my dad and step-mom. I had my problems with alcohol and my step-mom forced me out and I had no where to go. For a couple years life was really bad until my mother and stepfather asked me to move to Colorado with them. I haven't drank in 2 1/2 years, got my life back, am finishing school, and it’s because someone helped. Now I know these mothers have even bigger issues as they are responsible for another life - so I have great respect for that. If I can help in any way so these women know how strong they are, that would be great.

In Sunday’s sermon, and for past weeks, you discussed the capital campaign. Last Sunday you also talked about other ways of helping and how people always say they will do something and never do...so that got me to go home and send a couple emails. Now this thought is turning into a reality.

Nate,
26-years-old
How about you? How are you currently running for God? We want to hear about it! Comment below – perhaps your story will inspire someone else to start "running" as well.

Blessings,
Ken Brown

1 comment:

  1. In so many ways, music is my 10K, my relay race, and my marathon for God. I accepted Christ at 17 while in a youth church band, singing and worshiping at churches in the area. The song Pass It On was a song that I sang, and it inspired me to pass it on, to share the love of Christ, the good news of the gospel, the redemption each of us receives through a relationship with Jesus.

    Just like passing a baton in a relay race, music is my personal way I can "pass it on" to others. How cool to have something that I love to do, and that speaks to my soul so deeply, be a way to communicate the message of Christ.

    There's a reason why we call music the language of the soul. That's so true for me.

    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete