Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pete's Pick: Mute Math

Back in March of 2005 I read about a new band in one of my favorite magazines, Relevant Magazine (www.relevantmagazine.com), that sounded very interesting. Their upcoming album at the time was withheld for some reason or another, but I was able to locate an EP (an album with less tracks on it) at a local record store and loved the sounds that came from the speakers. A highly energetic and eerily Police-sounding music was what I heard from this new band Mute Math.

This band has a special place in my music collection. I have enjoyed their music from that first cd I listened to in 2005, I have attended at least 4 concerts as they have come through Denver, and one of their songs is what my wife walked down the aisle to at our wedding. They have also had songs that appeared on a few big movie soundtracks, "Transformers" and "Twilight. " And they have a new album that just came out a few weeks back.

A thing that I like most about this band is that they are a group of Christians who are choosing to live their lives in the mainline music industry. They even fought hard to not be put on a Christian music label; in my head I like to think that is because they desire to have their ministry be one that reaches people in bars and mainline radio. To me, this is pretty cool and difficult. To live in the world but not be of the world. I almost think this is something that we all, as believers and followers of Christ, are called to do in our daily lives. To reach out to this hurting world and provide a light that points to our God, our Savior.

So check out their new album, "Armistice," or their other albums such as their self-titled debut, the "Reset" EP (the album I mentioned earlier), or their "Spotlight" EP. This is a Grammy-nominated band that puts out solid music, with solid lyrics (not so sold on Armistice’s lyrics yet) and are striving to live out the Great Commission. Follow the link to a great video of their new single, "Spotlight." And feel free to surf around Youtube to find other great performances by a great band.

pete

No comments:

Post a Comment