Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mistaken Identity

She was a first-time visitor and I had the preaching assignment that day. From a distance I suppose many 4-year-olds would arrive at the same conclusion. Nestled in her grandma's arms, she curiously asked her grandpa just who I was: "Grandpa, is that President Obama?"

For the first time in my life I'm mistaken for a President of the United States at least once a quarter, usually by a preschooler. Don't get me wrong, I understand the mistake and it has been insightful.

First, as grown-ups we should never assume little tykes aren't absorbing tons of messages about religion, race, creed, gender, and sexual orientation. Innocent inquiries by children are opportunities to shape their view of God and the embrace of all people. Most importantly, my frequent cases of mistaken identity lead me to wonder, Am I mistaken for Christ as I should be? Do my words and actions resemble those of a person transformed by grace? Can others verify who I am in Christ, not by my position as pastor, but by my witness in their life?

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
1 Corinthians 13:12

I am curious: who do people mistake you for? And how are you doing resembling Christ?

Ken

4 comments:

  1. hmmm -- I used to get Susan Sarandon many years ago. I feel that overall, I'm doing a good job resembling Christ, but it's hard to keep up. Most people would say that I am good, friendly, helpful. I feel like there's so much more I could do, but get so tired at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite quotes is from a Quaker abolitionist and women's right's advocate from another century named Lucretia Mott: "It is time that Christians were judged more by their likeness to Christ than their notions of Christ."
    Sadly, there are some Christians today who are so wrapped up in their own prejudices that they aren't doing what Jesus told us all to do: Love one another. Pray for not only the friend but the foe. Care for those less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of striving to be the "likeness to Christ"! I imagine such striving can be exhausting at times. Prayerfully, Christ will provide strengh for this journey to be his likeness as he faithfully does whenever a vision of "who we want to be" compels us to seek being his resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I don't think I could ever be "mistaken" for Christ, but I'm going to try!

    ReplyDelete