Thursday, May 2, 2013


1st 505 Snow Day

By Ken Brown, ken.brown@broomfieldumc.org
I have to tell you, at 4:56pm on Sunday, I thought the 505 service was going to be five-on-five. Five of us leading worship for five people in the congregation. Then an avalanche of people happened -- 22 folks showed up -- and we blasted off, praising God at launch time, 5:05pm.

We sang lustily (see Joe Mazza for his interpretation of this term). During Thomas’ prayer I cracked myself up as I took a family portrait in my mind of who was at the service -- a cool teen decked out in green suede Nike’s, a tiny toddler in footed pajamas, dead ringers of Thelma and Louise, two seasoned couples (definitely not seniors), a strings ensemble, and a couple of natural science geeks that actually knew the “ideal gas law” when I referenced flatulence in my sermon…or did I say fart?

We sang lustily to the God who created the wonder called snow:
“Come thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy grace; steams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.”

Originally posted to the BUMC Blog on Feb. 26, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment