Thursday, November 19, 2009

Processing the Message

When I was a student at CU-Boulder back in the early 1980’s, I attended Bethany Baptist Church. I heard on the radio that the congregation dissolved recently, but in those days, Bethany was a vital community of faith. Jim Cessna was the pastor at the time and I learned a great deal from his expository sermons. Volunteering with the youth group there was actually one of my first steps into ministry. The youth group, I’m pleased to report, is still meeting. It became community-based and is now a separate non-profit that engages many Boulder students.

One aspect of Bethany’s ministry that I greatly enjoyed was a sermon discussion group. Bethany had three services each Sunday, and during the last service, a large group of us met to discuss the morning message. Generally, the pastor that wasn’t preaching led the conversation. It was extremely helpful to me to have that opportunity to process and personalize the message each week. The group also helped me get acquainted with other members of the congregation in a meaningful way. I will never forget it!

During our Small Groups “Blue Sky Day” planning retreat last month, a similar idea arose from our coaching team, and it was greeted with much enthusiasm. As a result, the Sermon Chat was born. Three fine leaders have stepped forward to facilitate the discussions – and they are excited by the possibilities. The informal Sermon Chat will take place each Sunday at 11 a.m. in room 203 starting November 22. It’s open to anybody who wants to join the conversation. No preparation is required; just come and share your insights and reflections upon the morning Scriptures and message. I believe this will be a valuable way to make the message your own – and to get to know your brothers and sisters in Christ!

-- Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment